Hi beautiful souls!
Today I am sharing with you my wholesome recipe for a nourishing, simple, delicious and vegan carrot cake, that’s sure to put a wholehearted smile on your face 🙂
Ever since I was a young child, I have always had a special love for carrot cake and anything of that flavour. It truly just makes me so happy from within! Since transitioning into a vegan lifestyle over two and a half years ago, it has allowed me to become so much more creative in the kitchen, and this meant experimenting to create the good-old carrot cake that I love ever so much. Without a doubt, you don’t miss out on anything as a vegan (in fact, you only gain more love, compassion, health, etc.), and this is now my go-to carrot cake recipe.
As with all of my recipes, this carrot cake is made with whole plant-based ingredients to nourish your mind, body and soul, and very versatile as well. It is fluffy, moist, gluten free, and truly satisfying to the heart. Please do note that it may not be as sweet as you expect, as I did not add any other sweetener apart from pitted dates (as that’s how I like my carrot cake), however you are more than welcome to add in any sweetener of choice to suit your needs, which I have included below the recipe.
I really do hope that you enjoy the recipe, and share it with your family and friends!
If you do recreate it, I would love to see your beautiful work through your tags on Instagram 🙂
Sending my love, and take care of yourself always♡
Wholesome Carrot Cake
Recipe by Jasmine Lipska
Makes: 10-12 medium slices
Time: 10 mins prep + 35 mins baking
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained thoroughly (+1/4 cup water to blend)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cucumber, shredded
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp water)
- 4-5 pitted medjool dates, chopped roughly
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Extra: 1/4 cup water for a thinner consistency
- Optional: 1/3 cup maple syrup, coconut sugar, or other sweetener of choice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Prepare flax egg by combining the flax meal and water, leaving it to sit for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, blend the chickpeas and water on high for around 2 minutes until a thick, smooth and creamy texture forms. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, including the tapioca starch, with the spices and baking powder, and combine well with a spatula.
- In the chickpea mixture, add in the apple cider vinegar, tahini, flax egg, and sweetener is using, and stir well to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and gently combine well once again.
- Lastly, add in the shredded carrot, cucumber and chopped dates, and incorporate well into the mixture. You may like to add in a splash of water for a smoother consistency. *
- Pour mixture into a lined baking tray and spread evenly. Place into the oven and bake for around 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked through.
- Enjoy and serve with shredded coconut, homemade frosting, or even vegan ice-cream!
- *At this stage, you can also add in other ingredients to suit your desired taste, such as blueberries, chopped nuts, seeds, etc.