During my solo travels so far, where 3 months have flown by already, my experiences have made me reflect a lot on life; on who I am, my calling, what’s truly important, and how I can contribute more to the world.
A big theme that keeps returning to me, is creating a simple life.
The more I travel, the more I witness and experience different cultures, people and activities that I hadn’t seen or done before, and it really has broadened my perspectives on what a simple life means for me.
To me, simple living means prioritising what’s essential for my health, happiness and wellbeing, and not letting external things or events distract me from being my Higher Self. It’s living from the heart rather than the ego. To decide what is essential, I simply ask myself: “Does this bring me joy and create more space in my life?”
We all have a different definition of simplicity, yet ultimately it all contains the same essence; to bring us a sense of inner peace and happiness.
Today I felt called to make a list of the simple things in life that bring me the most joy, not only as a reminder for me, but also to inspire you to make one too. There’s something powerful about turning thoughts into words, and you will gain much more clarity about the direction you desire to head in. It makes you reflect on whether your goals are really coming from within or for external validation.
Simple living for me, is just about being unapologetically myself, not taking things personally and having a whole lot of fun in this precious life we are given. It sounds counter-intuitive, but the more I put myself “out there”, the more I’m not bothered by what others think, because we can’t please everyone and we’re not here to do that either. As I grow, I am shedding the masks I used to hide behind, and just be authentically me. When we embrace our authentic selves, we give others who love us, an authentic experience too.
I encourage you take some time today, to be in a quiet space (or you can even play some gentle music in the background), and make your own list of simple things that bring you the most joy. It can be easy to over-complicate things as humans, to chase after material things and get caught up in the past or future. But it’s also easy to return to your heart, to realise that life isn’t a competition or race, and to focus on living life in the present moment. After making your list, notice how much better you feel, and how you raise your vibration to embody the version of you that your soul chose to be in this lifetime.
- Seeing my family happy.
- Swimming in the ocean and pretending to be a mermaid.
- When dad brings home fresh sourdough bread from the local bakery and the delicate smell infuses the house.
- The smell of mum when we hug, which is like the whole earth blooming with flowers is inside of her.
- Watching my grandpa contently plant flowers into the soil of the earth.
- Seeing my grandma laugh and have fun.
- Making jokes with my sister that only we understand.
- Playing board and card games with family.
- When I bring a smile to someone’s face.
- Avocado on toast.
- A makeup-free day.
- Island hopping.
- Warm weather and sunshine.
- Meditating in nature with the sounds of ocean waves gently washing ashore, a waterfall running into a stream, or birds chirping with joy.
- Cuddling an animal.
- Helping someone as an act of kindness.
- Watching someone perform an act of kindness.
- Seeing my creations adding value to and transforming people’s lives in a positive way.
- A body massage that releases all tension.
- Doing yoga in nature.
- Sleeping in a comfortable bed in a peaceful environment.
- Watching the sunrise.
- Watching the sunset.
- Family road trips.
- Laughing with family and friends.
- Giving someone a surprise.
- Snorkelling and making friends with fish and marine life.
- A cosy movie night.
- Walking barefoot in nature.
- Going on bike rides with dad.
- When my parents wrap their arms around me.
- Drinking fresh, clean water.
- Watching the milky way and shooting stars at night.
- Lying on the sand next to the ocean, in the warm air, taking a tap for as long as I want.
- Cooking a nourishing and delicious meal.
- Taking a class to learn something new.
- Touching trees and flowers.
- Floating in the ocean.
- Meeting kind and friendly people.
- Having soulful, deep and honest conversations.
- Writing through Spirit.
- Taking photos.
- Making videos to inspire.
- Reading a book on a comfortable chair, hammock or on the beach.
- Visiting book stores.
- Going to the farmer’s market.
- Plant-based dessert.
- Homecooked meals.
- Recording a podcast.
- Spending time alone.
- Singing to karaoke and in the shower.